Monday, January 14, 2013

Do I Have the Flu?

Good morning and happy Monday!
I hope you had a great weekend and this finds you well.

I mean that literally. You see, here in Boston it was announced that 18 people have died of the flu since the season hit us hard and fast. The most recent victim was just a child. This wide spread outbreak has caused Boston officials to declare a health emergency. You can imagine, it prompted a mad rush to flu clinics everywhere! I decided to dedicate todays post to the topic of the flu because after this weekend, it's on everyone's mind. Even as I sat in church yesterday I was amazed at how many people were missing and I know it's because many of them are very sick.

I think I've mentioned that I often visit the Yahoo Answers page to see how I might be able to help people in there that have health questions. One question I see a lot is "Do I have the flu?"

I guess I take it for granted everyone knows that dreadful feeling of having the flu. I've had it all my life at least once a season since I can remember.  Here are some symptoms that will help you identify whether what you have are cold and/or flu symptoms.

Signs of the flu

This list of symptoms is from the Mayo Clinic:

  • Fever over 100 F (38 C)
  • Aching muscles, especially in back, arms, legs
  • Chills and/or sweats
  • Headache
  • Dry cough
  • Fatigue and weakness
  • Nasal congestion
Unlike a cold -which usually starts with a scratchy or sore throat, the flu can hit hard and fast, knocking you for a loop! Now, if you happen to be unfortunate enough to see signs of the flu coming on, do not panic! First of all, the stress won't help your immune system and all! Stress, lack of sleep, lack of nutrients and a weakened immune system put you at greater risk of developing cold and flu symptoms - as well as chronic diseases. 

Yes, it's normal to develop cold and flu symptoms on occasion but living a healthy lifestyle increases your chances of giving that cold or flu virus the boot much faster than the average person.

Oh no! I have the flu, what should I do?

So say you develop that dreaded virus. You have all the signs of the flu. What's the best way to handle it? Should you rush to the hospital or the doctor? Not necessarily.

As long as you can hold fluids down and you don't have any other chronic conditions that will put you at a great risk (such as asthma or any respiratory diseases) your body will be able to heal itself in time and with some TLC from you! 

**If you have any of those major risk factors, your doctor may want you on anti-viral medication for the first 48 hours.**




No comments:

Post a Comment